What is self harm?

Self-harm is often an attempt to manage difficult thoughts and feelings and can be a physical response to emotional pain. The action of self-harm can be to intentionally harm or injure yourself. You may find this video helps to explain Suffolk Mind

If you have a serious injury, seek help immediately by calling 999 or attending A&E. If you have an open wound or injury you may need some medical advice from your GP surgery or local NHS walk-in centre so that it does not get worse.

Please click here for help, support and advice.

Mental Health Concerns for over 16 year old                                                                         

Not coping well with stress, depression or anxiety, then you can contact the Wellbeing service.

They offer a range of support that could help you feel better including services such as:

  • One-to-one support
  • Self-help advice
  • Relationship counselling for couples, individuals and families
  • Courses to help you achieve a better sense of wellbeing, and to manage issues such as stress,
  • worry, insomnia and IBS
  • Peer support and access to social groups in your area

Call them on:03001231781 or sign up yourself online at www.readytochange.org.uk

One Life Suffolk provide a wealth of advice and programmes covering a range of topics including:

  • Losing weight
  • Families & young people
  • Quit smoking
  • Active wellbeing
  • NHS Health Checks
  • Health walks

You can visit their website at www.onelifesuffolk.co.uk or telephone them on 01473 718193 for more information. 

Sexual Health Services                                                                                                                                   

Orwell Clinic, Lindbergh Road, Ipswich IP3 9FA

Services they offer:

  • Chlamydia testing
  • Condoms
  • Contraception
  • Emergency contraception
  • HIV care
  • HIV testing
  • Psychosexual therapy
  • STI testing

Support and advice

For more information visit http://www.icash.nhs.uk/

Help with alcohol and drug problems

Contact Turning Point on 01473 220 224

Sanderson House, 17-19 Museum Street, Ipswich, IP1 1HE

Earwax build-up

Earwax normally just falls out on its own. When it's blocking your ears, a pharmacist can help.

How you can treat earwax build-up yourself


Do not use your fingers or any objects like cotton buds to remove earwax. This will push it in and make it worse.

Earwax usually falls out on its own. If it does not and blocks your ear, put 2 to 3 drops of olive or almond oil in your ear twice a day for a few days.

Over 2 weeks lumps of earwax should fall out of your ear, especially at night when you're lying down.

There's no evidence that ear candles or ear vacuums get rid of earwax.

A pharmacist can help with earwax build-up

Speak to a pharmacist about earwax build-up. They can give advice and suggest treatments.

They might recommend chemical drops to dissolve the earwax. The earwax should fall out on its own or dissolve after about a week.

Do not use drops if you have a hole in your eardrum (a perforated eardrum).

Find a pharmacy

Non-urgent advice:See a nurse at your GP practice if:

  • your ear hasn't cleared after 5 days
  • your ear is badly blocked and you can't hear anything (you can get an infection if it isn't cleared)

Not all GP practices remove earwax

Some can:

  • flush the wax out with water (ear irrigation)
  • suck the wax out (microsuction)

These treatments are usually painless. You might have to pay to have them done privately.

Preventing earwax build-up

You can't prevent earwax. It's there to protect your ears from dirt and germs.

But you can keep using eardrops to soften the wax. This will help it fall out on its own and should prevent blocked ears.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website